- You must not attend if
- in the past fourteen days, any member of your household has had symptoms of Covid-19 (fever, serious coughing, or shortness of breath); or
- in the past ten days, any member of your household has been in close contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19.
(If the one with symptoms or close contact has been cleared by a negative Covid-19 test result, then the household may attend.)
- Six feet of distance must be maintained between members of different households.
- Wearing face masks while in the church is strongly encouraged. The City of Norman now requires wearing a mask when social distancing is not possible.
- Instead of kissing icons, venerate them by reverently bowing.
Guidance for Church Participation
We want to welcome you to Holy Ascension! Please join us for a service and experience the worship of the ancient Christian Church today.
Since our worship is unfamiliar to many people, here is some practical guidance for participating in our services.
Orthodox worship is based on a sense of reverent awe that is not often encountered outside the church. We do not want a sense of rigidity or formality to overshadow our family spirit and our welcome toward visitors, but please be mindful of the dignity due to God in His church.
Please dress for church in a way that honors God, as you would dress to meet an important person or to appear in court. We want to honor God with our best and most dignified clothes. However, we do not judge how others dress, since their best may be different from our best. Also, please do not dress in a manner that is revealing, immodest, or distracting to others.
Please refrain from conversation in the church. Needless to say, it distracts you and those around you from worship and prayer.
When seated in church, please do not cross your legs. Though we think little of it in today’s world, this posture represents a casual familiarity that detracts from the solemnity and dignity of our worship.